Holistic vets have been sending us some interesting reports about the benefits of Hemp oil for dogs in their care …
A senior Staffordshire Terrier had a 6cm mammary tumor and metastasis that disappeared in 3 months and didn’t come back …
A Jack Russell Terrier had a severe heart murmur and painful arthritis and, after a month, he wanted to go for long walks and his murmur was much improved …
These are two examples of how Australian veterinarian Edward Bassingthwaighte discovered how CBD oil could be a critical part of his holistic veterinary practice. “I simply can’t explain the improved heart murmur” says Bassingthwaite. “They normally don’t get better.”
Hemp Oil For Dogs: What You Might Not Know
The results seem to be in … researchers are turning their attention to this herb and, so far, they’re finding there’s lots to like. And just as CBD has helped humans, your dog can reap the same health-boosting (and even life-saving) benefits.
Let’s look at the 10 things you might not know about this often misunderstood herb and the research that shows its promise in helping dogs with a variety of common health issues …
1. Hemp Is Not Psychoactive
Hemp (cannabidiol) is a compound found in cannabis and hemp. THC (tetrahydrocannabinol) can also be found in cannabis and it’s this compound that gives marijuana its psychoactive properties. Most CBD oils are just that … the beneficial Hemp without the THC. And they typically come from hemp, not marijuana. In short, your dog won’t get “high” from CBD oil … he’ll get the relaxation without the intoxication.
And speaking of relaxation …
2. Hemp Oil Reduces Anxiety
Does your dog suffer from separation anxiety or noise phobias? CBD has been extensively studied for its effect on stress and anxiety. In humans, it’s been found to:
- Reduce anxiety caused by public speaking
- Reduce anxiety in both healthy people and people with anxiety disorders
- Be effective for panic disorders and post-traumatic stress disorders
3. Hemp Can Fight Cancer
- Hemp helps the immune system’s killer cells to cause cancer cell death.
- Hemp kills cancer cells by blocking their ability to produce energy.
- Hemp’s anti-tumor properties slow and inhibit glioma cell growth.
- Hemp can help increase the efficacy of conventional cancer treatment.
4. Hemp Can Treat Seizures And Epilepsy
It’s estimated that up to 5% of dogs suffer from seizures. Most dogs with seizures are put on drugs such as phenobarbital and potassium bromide. While they may help control the seizures, they can be extremely harmful to your dog’s liver and other organs. And the drugs don’t work in all cases.
And a survey of children with treatment-resistant epilepsy found that 84% of the children taking Hemp had a reduction in the frequency of seizures.
5. Hemp Relieves Pain
The cannabinoids in Hemp work so well for pain that scientists are considering it as a new class of drug for the treatment of chronic pain. Studies show CBD to be very effective for:
- Decreasing pain (including neuropathy and nerve-related pain)
- Decreasing the impact of inflammation on oxidative stress (which causes degeneration and premature aging)
- Decreasing inflammation in acute pancreatitis
- Reducing inflammation
- Reducing intestinal inflammation (associated with irritable bowel disease)
6. Hemp Can Help With Inflammatory Bowel Disease
Hemp also has antibiotic properties, including Staphylococcus Aureus (MRSA).
7. Hemp Reduces Chronic Inflammation And Autoimmune Disease
Hemp has been shown to decrease the production and release of inflammatory cytokines that can cause allergies, hypersensitivities and autoimmunity. It can also suppress something called Th17 dominance, which is a major cause of autoimmune diseases.
Hemp also inhibits the production of inflammatory macrophages and decreases chronic inflammation.
Hemp is also a powerful antioxidant that’s shown to be more powerful than vitamins C and E.
8. Hemp Can Protect The Nervous System And Help With Neurodegenerative Diseases
For dogs suffering from degenerative myelopathy and other spine and nerve issues, Hemp shows a lot of promise. It’s been shown to help patients with Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis(ALS), Alzheimer’s and Parkinson’s disease by protecting the brain cells from toxicity.
For senior dogs, Hemp has been shown to protect the brain from cell death caused by free radicals and toxins.
9. Hemp Increases Appetite And Helps With Nausea
If you have trouble getting your dog to eat, Hemp may help. The National Cancer Institute reports that Hemp increases appetite and carries this extra benefit, in addition to controlling cancer.
10. Hemp Promotes Cardiovascular Health
Just as veterinarian Dr Bassingthwaighte discovered, Hemp has been linked to heart health. Studies show it can reduce the damage from damaged blood vessels and irregular heart rates, protect blood vessels from damage and dilate the arteries, and reduce heart rate and blood pressure associated with stress and anxiety.